Sunday, May 11, 2008

My patient with the rod

It has been a while since posting last. I have been super busy. On the floor I worked on, most of my patients were post-op orthopedics, with hip replacements, knee replacements...etc. Nothing real interesting. Well after being on that floor for 4 weeks, I moved to another floor where patients with more needs were. The day prior, I had two patients. My instructor encouraged me to take 3 patients. Before I left I chose a patient with a diagnosis of "Urinary foreign obstruction". Before digging into his file I just thought he was passing stones through his urethra. Well, I was a little naive. My patient was an older middle-age man who had a friend insert an aluminum rod into his urethra and went into his bladder. It got stuck and had to be surgically removed.
He was being discharged the day I had him and I had to teach him how to care for his foley catheter for the week after he went home until his appt. with the urologist. He was a sick and perverted man. He was also rude to me and I just couldn't wait until he was discharged. I worked as hard as I could but he had no ride home for over 3 hours. I think he was going through some sort of alcohol or drug withdrawl, which could explain his rudeness. I don't think I'll be seeing another man ike that...or at least I hope not.

1 comment:

AMB said...

All I can say is that I'm very perplexed. Just when you think you've heard it all...