Saturday, October 11, 2008

First Day of Clinical

This week, I started my first day of clinicals. I am working 1 1/2 hours away at St. Joseph Hospital in Bellingham. It went as good as could be expected for having the entire summer off. I was a little rusty. I haven't worked evening shift so I had to figure out my evening and my tasks to be done at certain times. Also, I had to figure out the computer system to do all my charting.

I had the chance to start an IV on a new admit patient. I was able to get the IV in successfully the first time. It's a good thing I did, because I only had one chance to poke the patient. The IV catheter had two ports. The nurse told me to unscrew it to flush the IV. The IV had two ports. I was a bit confused and I unscrewed one of the ports and blood gushed out. Luckily the patient didn't see the blood and I was able to catch it all in my glove. I soon then realized she meant unscrew the cap off the saline and screw it into the IV port to flush. Well, I guess it can't go smoothly all the time...especially my first time on a patient.

No comments: