Last week, I had another rotation. This time it was in outpatient surgery. This is where pre-op prep takes place for minor surgeries, such as cataracts...etc. I say cataracts, because the nurse I was assisting took only the 'eye' patients that day. This was my day to shine as I put in every IV possible.
The day before my friend went to outpatient. She tried to give 6 IV's, but none would take. She was so bummed that she was 0/6, and I thought, "that's not going to be me." Well I started the morning off on a bad foot. In outpatient, they give lidocaine to the IV site to numb it up. On the floor, they don't do that. I've started many-a-IV on the floor and for the most part it's no problem...as long as there's a good vein to poke.
I gave the first patient lidocaine right next to the vein, where the nurse instructed me to put it. Unfortunately, it moved the vein to the side and my line got all screwed up. I was unsuccessful. The second time I did the same thing. After that I thought, "It's the curse of the nursing student!" I thought surely, the third time must be a charm. Right? Well, I asked the nurse how to avoid moving the vein like that and I placed it just below where I wanted to place the IV, so it didn't move the vein to either side. Well, I was successful, but my hands were shaking. :)
I had many other opportunities and at the end of the day I was 6/10. I'm not completely proud of myself, but I am just so glad I wasn't 0/6 that day.
Now that I have had so much more experience and practiced with my dexterity and how I like to do it, I have a much better handle on it and I'm so ready to give more IV's. Anyone want to volunteer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment