Thursday, May 7, 2009

My first cervical check

Tuesday morning started off with a bang. As soon as I arrived on the floor, I scrubbed up and put my sterile gloves on. I got the knitty-gritty information on a patient who was just about ready to deliver. My preceptor told me I was going to do my first cervical check. I was very hesitant, because I had not done one before and unsure what I would be feeling. She told me to stick my fingers in and she'll tell me what I'm feeling. I put my 2 fingers in her va-jay-jay and I felt something hard a couple inches up. My preceptor told me that was the head, and her cervix was fully dilated. Thankfully the woman had an epidural, so she didn't feel anything below her stomach. She delivered within 45 minutes of coming on shift.

I assisted her in her breathing and encouraged her to push during contractions. After the baby was delivered, I assisted with fundal checks (massaging the uterus), and watching for hemorrhaging. With the baby, I took it to the warmer, performed an apgar score, administered a Vit. K shot in the leg, ointment in the eyes, foot prints, PKU test, hearring test, and anything that needed to be done I did it. I also did a ton of teaching to the mother for her and her baby.

I really enjoy the OB. I hope that there are more births in the next month so I can have lots of experience.

1 comment:

AMB said...

Wow! That must have been really exciting! I love watching childbirths! Although I don't know how much I would like sticking my fingers in another woman's "va-jay-jay"!